Coffee Leftovers?

Ahhh, coffee. American coffee. Cafe con leche. Coffee ice cream. I love the flavor of coffee. Though I am the first to admit that I am a much better person when I don't drink caffeine, so it's only unleaded for me.

Knowing how much I love coffee, several of my friends have been urging me to try some of the coffee roasted by a local coffee afficiando. Apparently, he's the "coffee roaster to the stars" and sells to the top restaurants in LA and New York and everywhere in between. 

He has a quiet little shop on the west side of San Antonio and I finally made it over to coffee paraiso (paradise) last week, aka Brown Coffee Company (please see addendum below). While the roaster himself, Aaron, did not ingratiate me with his bubbly personality, the coffee did not disappoint. And that's what I went for, right? 

Maybe I got the cold-shoulder because I had the audacity to order a pound of "decaffeinated" coffee? Though, truth be told, I did enjoy a cup of leaded while I waited, but that still didn't seem to win me any points. 

Did I mention that there is no option of adding cream or sugar of any kind to your coffee if you imbibe it in-house? Well, the cup of coffee I had was so smooth, chocolatey and yummy, it really didn't even need anything. Or so I told myself as I enjoyed my first ever cup of black coffee.

This guy is a purist. Perhaps the Coffee Nazi would be more accurate. Whatever he is, he knows coffee and sometimes the best producers of certain things are a little wacky. So I'm chalking it up to that.

At $14 a pound, I have not wanted to throw any leftover coffee away. And I haven't yet. It's that good! I came home the other night and David was having an iced coffee at 8 pm. 

When we finally did have some leftover coffee, I decided to make an affogato ("drowned" in Italian) and David flipped. He had never had this classic Italian dessert--that is much like an American ice cream soda--before that consists of ice cream or gelato and a shot of espresso or strong coffee. He inquired as to how I knew about this little gem and why had it taken me so long to share it with him...and I responded with, "All good things come to those who wait."
This dessert is simple, absolutely fantastic, and another great way to use leftover coffee. Especially when it's $14 a pound.

Buen provecho!

Update on Brown Coffee Co.: Looking for a reason to go to see the coffee nazi or need another reason not to? Here's what he did that created quite a stir. Pun intended. And here's the local take on it all. 
Affogato
The Cowgirl Gourmet

Print recipe

You can choose any flavor of ice cream you like, though vanilla is the traditional choice and coffee and chocolate ice cream would also be great alternatives. And the coffee can be hot or cold. I like to use leftover coffee at room temperature because it doesn't immediately melt the ice cream. So it's really like an adult ice cream soda. You could also make something even more spectacular out of this simple dessert by topping it off with a splash of liquor, such as rum, Frangelico or Kahlua. Ahhh...

Serves 4

1 pint of ice cream or gelato, vanilla is the classic choice though I like coffee and even chocolate (1 scoop per serving)
1/2 cup hot coffee or espresso or at room temperature (2 Tablespoons of coffee per serving)
Whipped cream, optional
2 ounces liquor, optional (1/2 ounce per serving)

Divide ice cream among four tumblers or martini or cognac glasses. Pour your choice of hot or tepid coffee over the ice cream. If adding a splash of liquor, add it now and then top with a generous squirt of whipped cream in the can or homemade whipped cream. 

Serve immediately.

Comments

Top 5 Posts