Spice It Up!

With cruciferous vegetables in high--and I do mean high--season, I have been eating my share (and probably yours as well). Broccoli, broccoli rabe and cauliflower are all in the cruciferous family, but cauliflower is my favorite. I know I have been eating David's share since he mostly eschews it.



I do something with cauliflower at least once a week during the winter months. Roasted and caramelized, steamed and pureed (faux taters), made into cauliflower rice (guiltless rice) and even a tasty cauliflower soup. Admittedly, though, after a while the same ole' same ole' gets stale and I'm anxious and on the prowl to find a new recipe to spice things up a bit.

Something completely different. And starting a new year often times calls for that. The new year is when we are open to try new things (I vow to run instead of walk with my dogs), willing to say no (to any more sweets) and amenable to try new recipes. Like this one.

I love picking up the free monthly health magazine, delicious living, that Whole Foods distributes. There's always an article that speaks to me and generally a new twist on a staple ingredient that is worth trying. In fact, the January 2012 issue had three recipes I ripped out to save and put in my "To Make" file, but one just stayed on the kitchen counter primed and ready. It was the spicy roasted cauliflower. No surprise, right?

I love, love, love roasted cauliflower (and so does my dog, Nacho...no, really, he does), but you've got to use several (4-6) tablespoons of olive oil when roasting it and the fact that this recipe called for one tablespoon olive oil,  a teaspoon of lemon juice, a bit of cayenne to spice things up and then paprika for color and flavor spoke to me on many levels. Then once it's roasted, you drizzle more lemon juice and fresh parsley and that sealed the deal. The spiciness is balanced with the lemon making it a Spanish-Mediterranean-Indian fusion dish.

This roasted cauliflower has such a variety of flavors happening--the acid from the lemon, a back of the throat kick from the cayenne, depth of flavor from the paprika and the freshness from the parsley turn into a mouthful of wow! And at just 62 calories per serving, I can enjoy many mouthfuls without any guilt.

Happy new year and buen provecho!


Spicy Roasted Cauliflower
The Cowgirl Gourmet found this recipe in the January 2012 issue of delicious living

Print recipe

Serves 4

1 lb. cauliflower florets, about 4 cups, preferably organic
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon olive oil
3 teaspoons lemon juice (divided into 1 teaspoon and 2 teaspoons)
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon paprika
Kosher salt to taste
1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cut cauliflower into florets.


In a large bowl, add the garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, cayenne, paprika and salt and stir to combine.


Toss in the cauliflower florets and stir to combine so the oil mixture coats the cauliflower.


Spread onto a large baking sheet (lined with parchment paper) and roast 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until slightly golden and tender.


Remove the pan from the oven and toss cauliflower with 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice and 1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley. Sprinkle with a little more coarse salt, like Maldon, and serve.



Comments

Top 5 Posts