Jiffy's Kind of Iffy

I'm craving cornbread.

Yesterday I made these amazing pinto beans and David's got this fabulous elk chili and it's almost Thanksgiving and I've decided we need cornbread with tonight's leftovers.

My grandmother always used Jiffy cornbread mix, so when we were at the grocery store, I took a look at what's in the Jiffy cornbread mix and did not like what I saw. Way too many ingredients and hydrogenated whatever. No, thanks!

Then I remembered I had a homemade cornbread recipe that was great and all I needed was some corn meal, as I knew we had eggs, flour and milk.

So, when I got home, I started searching for the recipe that's handwritten on a piece of paper from a few years ago. I have no idea where the recipe came from, but I couldn't find it anywhere. I looked high and low, in this folder and in this binder of recipes. Nothing. Finally, I found it. And happy for another reason to be thankful.

I share this with you because it is almost Thanksgiving and everyone makes cornbread dressing, right? Plus, it's super easy to make and it's so much better that what you get out of a box. What's also fun is that you can add things like corn, chives, green onions, herbs, etc. that will enhance either the cornbread or your cornbread dressing.

May your Thanksgiving be filled with love, peace, happiness, family, old traditions, new memories and LOTS of great food.

Buen provecho!


Heather's Homemade Cornbread
The Cowgirl Gourmet's kitchen

Print Recipe

3/4 cup cornmeal (I used organic corn meal)
3/4 cup flour
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt, Kosher
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 cup milk, plus 2 T.
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 egg, beaten
1 Tablespoon unsalted butter, for cast iron skillet or square glass dish

Preheat cast iron skillet or oven-proof dish (approximately 9” round) in 400 degree oven for 10-15 minutes to get the skillet screaming hot.

In the meantime, place all dry ingredients (corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and pepper) in a bowl and whisk to combine.

Add melted butter, milk and beaten egg and stir with a wooden spoon or spatula until everything is incorporated. The batter will be thick.

Open oven and place one T. butter in cast iron skillet and close oven until butter is melted and sizzling.

Remove cast iron skillet from oven, swirl the butter around so all surface area and sides are covered with butter and pour batter into pan. Spread the batter out with the back of a spatula. But don't worry if it doesn't look perfect, it will spread more as it cooks.


Return the skillet to the oven and cook for 25 minutes or until golden brown.

Remove from the oven, cut and serve with Smart Balance or butter or allow to cool and use for making cornbread dressing.

Comments

Top 5 Posts