A Little Sales Pitch

I love breakfast, I really do. And my favorite thing is to eat breakfast for dinner. What's better than that? I feel like I'm breaking all the rules...

You already know I make Cowgirl Granola, but what you may not know is that I recently launched an Organic Blue Cornmeal Pancake Mix that just happens to be gluten-free. Whether you are gluten intolerant, celiac or just want to eat healthier, I'm betting that you're going to love these pancakes as much as we do.

I've been making them since last summer and every time I make them David says, "You should figure a way to package these and sell them." They are that good!

And so I did.

I have cousins who are celiac and I often find myself making gluten-free desserts, but more than anything I researched other products out there and found there are things in the commercial gluten-free baking mixes that I don't want to ingest. Lots of sugar and preservatives are not my idea of "good for you" food.

This reality inspired me to share my pancake mix with you as I am a proponent for eating well, eating natural foods and, mostly, enjoying what I eat.


But, let's get one thing straight...these are not your IHOP-style pancakes. These are dense, flavorful and nutty tasting. The consistency is a little more grainy, but the texture contributes to the overall tastiness of the pancakes.

And I know we all love pancakes, but those flour-laden pillows are not very good for you. Many people walk away from the breakfast table quite bloated and stuffed, often times regretting that they have eaten pancakes. So far, everyone who has eaten my pancakes seems to feel pretty good afterwards!

Made with just organic blue cornmeal, organic brown rice flour, vanilla bean sugar, aluminum-free baking powder and Kosher salt, oh, and your choice of walnuts or Texas pecans—you add the wet ingredients—these pancakes are easy to make and delicious. Each $6 mix comes with a recipe and makes 10-12 pancakes.

Today I've invited a few friends over for lunch and, guess what I'm serving? Cowgirl Granola's Organic Blue Cornmeal Pancakes, of course.

So let's get started...and if you'd like to place an order, you may do so at the online store and I'll ship it to you, you can come see me at one of the weekly markets or you can call me at 210-865-5900 if you live in SA to arrange a pancake deal.

Buen provecho!

*Excellent photography (excluding the amateur photo of the ingredients taken below by yours truly) courtesy of Karen Green Pirinelli (thanks, amiga!)


Cowgirl Granola's Organic Blue Cornmeal Pancakes (or Waffles)

Print Recipe

This is a gluten-free pancake mix. These pancakes are so good (and good for you), they may become your favorite! They also make great waffles!

Makes 10-12 pancakes

You’ll need:

1 cup boiling water
1 farm fresh egg, beaten (or 1/4 cup applesauce if you are vegan)
2/3 cup milk (whole, skim, buttermilk, almond, hemp or coconut milk also work, if you are lactose intolerant)
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter or Smart Balance, melted, or olive oil
1-teaspoon vanilla
Additional butter, oil or spray Pam for the pan
Fresh fruit, optional
Maple syrup or fruit preserves and a dusting of powdered sugar


Step 1: Place the contents of package A in a medium bowl and whisk gently. Using a spatula, stir in 1 cup boiling water until everything has combined and is thoroughly wet. Set bowl aside and let stand for five minutes.


In another bowl, add the wet ingredients: melted butter, milk and egg (or applesauce) and whisk together. Then add this to the above mixture and stir to combine.


Step 2: Carefully sprinkle the contents of package B into the mixture and stir until incorporated. Add the vanilla and the contents of package C (optional) and mix only until combined.

Heat a large cast iron skillet or non-stick flat griddle over medium heat and add either 1-tablespoon of Smart Balance, butter or 1-tablespoon vegetable/canola oil. Once the oil is hot, stir it around the pan so it coats the surface evenly.


Add ¼ cup of batter for each pancake. (For the waffles, make according to your manufacturer's instructions.) You may choose to add sliced bananas or blueberries to the top of the pancake while it’s cooking or just before serving. (We like to add sliced bananas to the pancake when they are cooking so they caramelize when you flip it...)

After it has cooked about 4 minutes, peak at the underside—if it’s golden brown, it’s time to flip. Cook the other side until golden as well, about another 4 minutes. It can be hard to tell when blue food is cooked through, so if you’re unsure, give them a few extra seconds. Continue adding oil to the pan as necessary to cook the rest of the pancakes.


Serve immediately with maple syrup or fruit preserves and sprinkle with a bit of powdered sugar.

Comments

Top 5 Posts