Cue Up This Cucumber Salad

Right now I am on a salad kick. Perhaps you have already made the kale salad I posted earlier this week (which is divine!) or maybe that's not your cup of tea or salad...

A regular green salad can become a bit mundane so I am always looking for something a little more exotic or at least interesting in the wide world of salads.

The other day I bought these gorgeous baby cucumbers at the farmers market.


While they are perfect for making dill or bread and butter pickles, I'm going to wait on that and turn these into a cucumber salad.

David told me that plain old cucumber salad was too boring to make for you. And I tend to agree. As I was telling a friend yesterday about my quandry, she suggested I make what she's been enjoying all week...Israeli Cucumber Salad.

Basically, it's tabouli without the cracked wheat, and since I can't eat wheat, I thought it a perfect way to prepare these cucumbers as well as something new I could share with you.

It's more than easy and, as my friend said "the parsley changes the tenor of the dish," and you can quote me on that, she added, and I have because I completely agree. It's a fresh approach to preparing cucucmbers in a way that's not loaded with sour cream, oil or even a heavy, caloric dressing.

So here you go. Something new to do with the cucumbers that are popping up at the farmers markets. It would pair nicely with grilled chicken or could be tossed into a lettuce salad.

But, honestly, I think I'll get some goat or feta cheese to crumble on top of mine.

Buen provecho!

(The Cowgirl Gourmet extends an extra special thanks to The Poundcake Lady who was kind enough to share a few tips on how to improve our photographs...we will be forever indebted!!)


Israeli Cucumber Salad
The Cowgirl Gourmet prepared this using Julia's recipe

Print Recipe

Serves 4
2 cucumbers, you could use English, regular (I would recommend deseeding a regular cucumber) or 4 smaller pickling cucumbers, cut into bite-sized pieces (I cut mine in half and then sliced them fairly thin)
1/2 small red onion, diced
1 small green bell pepper or 1/2 large one, diced
3 Roma tomatoes, diced (farmers market tomatoes would be better but they're not available yet)
1/2 cup Italian flat-leafed parsley, finely chopped
1 lemon, juiced
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Place sliced cucumbers in big bowl. Sprinkle with salt and stir.


Add diced onion, tomatoes and bell pepper and toss to combine. Add another bit of salt (approximately 1/4 teaspoon) and a few grinds of fresh black pepper.



Toss in the chopped parsley and stir until throughly mixed.


Pour the lemon juice over the top and stir again.


Let sit for one hour at room temperature and taste for seasoning. You may need to add a bit more salt and/or pepper. Place bowl in the refrigerator to chill until ready to serve.

This salad will keep for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.

Comments

Will be trying this one next. It's got big taste buds to fill next to divine kale salad!

Top 5 Posts