Everybody's Fool

One of the best things about summer is that there's a lot of fruit available.

Juicy peaches, fresh strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, grapes, sweet cantaloupes and watermelons. I could live on fruit.

So when one of my favorite farmers had homegrown blackberries at Tuesday's farmers market, I had to have them! Yes, they are still a little tart, but nothing that some powdered sugar can't fix.


On my way home I remembered this recipe I came across some time ago on a local food website, SavorSA.com, for Raspberry Fool.

It's a Mark Bittman recipe and I love him. He's a food writer for the New York Times, travels extensively (he did a 13-part series PBS show with Mario Batali and Gwyneth Paltrow "Spain...On the Road Again" that was quite good) and he loves vegetables, hence his "How to Cook Everything Vegetarian" cookbook.

In short, anything Mark does is terrific, so surely this dessert must be as well. I mean, what can be bad about heavy whipping cream, sugar and blackberries?

Absolutely nothing.

This is one dessert that will make you look like a hero. Essentially, it's a fruit mousse and it tastes like it's much more difficult than it is. So trust me when I say that only a fool would reject this light, fruity and delectable sweet treat.

Now get those fresh blackberries and cream and start whipping!

Buen provecho!


Berry Fool
Minimally adapted by The Cowgirl Gourmet from savorsa.com as adapted from Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything" cookbook

Print recipe

This dessert is so utterly easy, you won't believe it. It would also be divine by replacing the berries with fresh mangos or peaches. And adding a 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract or almond extract would add a new dimension of flavor to it, but that's entirely up to you. The simplicity of this dessert is what makes it special.

Serves 4

2 to 3 cups raspberries or blackberries, divided use
1/2 cup powdered sugar, plus 1 tablespoon sugar for the cream, plus more if needed, divided use
1 cup heavy whipping cream, preferably not ultra-pasteurized
Pinch of salt

PurĆ©e about one-third of the berries in a blender with 1/4 cup powdered sugar. Then force the purĆ©e through a sieve to remove seeds. Taste. The purĆ©e should be quite sweet, but if it is not, add a little more sugar.


Toss the remaining berries with 1/4 cup powdered sugar.


Using a hand held mixer, a standing mixer or, for the daring and determined, a whisk, beat the cream, 1 tablespoon sugar and a pinch of salt until it holds soft peaks.


Beat in the purƩe, then carefully fold in the sugared berries. Taste and add more sugar if necessary. Serve immediately (in a martini glass) or refrigerate for up to an hour. Any leftover fool will keep in the fridge for up to two days.

Comments

Anonymous said…
thank you for sharing...
Marissa said…
I'd be a fool not to hop on my bike and ride over to get some!
Unknown said…
Isn't this the best recipe! When I made the raspberry version, a young guest who thought he didn't like berries couldn't get enough of it! Glad to hear it worked so well with the blackberries. Reminds me that I have a crate of mangoes from Costco and I bet it will be wonderful with them.
Heather said…
Yes, Kristina, mangoes would be divine!! Call me when it's ready and I'll head over...hehehe! So glad you are enjoying this easy and delicious treat.

Top 5 Posts