I've Got the Cole Slaw Blues

Labor Day is a most welcome holiday in Texas. It means the horrifically hot days of summer are waning and cooler air is imminent. We hope.

Labor Day also represents another BBQ hurrah by the pool with perhaps a few toddies and the dogs splashing everyone as they indefatigably retrieve tennis balls from the pool.

Ribs were the mandatory entree, this was an easy decision. But we wanted to do something a little different in the department of sides this year. Neither David nor I wanted baked beans or a sweet cole slaw. Too much sugar. When he cleverly suggested a blue cheese cole slaw, I was all over that.

Truthfully, though, searching for a recipe online and in my recipe files merely disappointed me, as everything was laden with fat...cups of this and cups of that. None of which sounded very appetizing or healthy. So I did what anyone would do.

I gathered some ideas and came up with my own recipe. I knew mayonnaise and blue cheese were essential for this dish along with some vinegar. David suggested apple cider vinegar, although I think sherry vinegar would also work.

Now I just had to determine proportions. In case it was an "#epic fail," I started small so I would have less to throw away.

But it was a stupendous success...we ate every last morsel...and then made it again this past Saturday night to perfect the recipe before sharing it with you.

The next time you want to kick up your cole slaw or just tantalize your taste buds, I highly recommend this blue cheese cole slaw. It's a keeper.

Buen provecho!
Blue Cheese Cole Slaw
The Cowgirl Gourmet (www.thecowgirlgourmet.blogspot.com)

Print recipe

If you are in the mood for something completely and unusually delicious, this is it. The unexpected stink yet creaminess from the blue cheese is a perfect accompaniment with BBQ. I served the slaw over a thick, homegrown tomato, as blue cheese and tomato go so well together. This slaw is best eaten within 2-3 hours of making it. And I would recommend making more than you think you'll need because it will disappear.

3 cups finely shredded Savoy cabbage (you could use regular cabbage, but I prefer the softness of Savoy)
2 carrots, grated
A dash of Kosher salt

Dressing:
1/4 cup mayonnaise, heaping
1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles, heaping
2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
A drizzle of honey (about 1/4 teaspoon)
A squeeze of lemon juice (just to give a little more acid flavor to the dressing)
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
A little more blue cheese crumbles for garnish, if desired

Finely slice the Savoy cabbage, shred the carrots and place in a bowl. Mix together to combine. Sprinkle a little Kosher salt and toss to mix.
For the dressing, use a small food processor or regular size food processor. Add the mayonnaise, blue cheese crumbles, apple cider vinegar, honey, lemon juice, Kosher salt, plenty of fresh ground black pepper and puree until smooth. There might be a few chunks of blue cheese left and that is perfectly fine.


Taste the dressing and tweak it if necessary. Once the dressing is to your liking, pour it over the shredded cabbage and carrots and toss to combine. Now you should taste the cole slaw to make sure the flavors are just right...this is the best part of cooking!

Refrigerate for up to an hour so the flavors meld.

Just before serving, toss again and then sprinkle some more blue cheese crumbles on top for garnish. Add a few more grinds of black pepper and dig in!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks for this terrific recipe Heather! I made this last weekend and it was the best coleslaw we ever had. Will definitely make again! Was both tangy and creamy. Served with chopped BBQ pork sandwich and grilled corn on the cob.
Heather said…
Love that you loved the blue cheese cole slaw!! BBQ pork sammy sounds divine...David is threatening to make pulled pork sometime soon, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Top 5 Posts