Merry Christmas to Me

Over the last 10 years, I have become a fanatic about the ingredients I use. Those I cook with. Put in my body. On my face. On my body. And while it's becoming increasingly easier to find all-natural products, there's still a few ingredients they will drop in that are undesirable, such as detergents which are petroleum-based and artificial colorings.

Throughout the years, I have been known to make my own salt scrubs, facial moisturizer, body creams, special body oils, and more. So when I came across this do-it-yourself recipe for an all-natural foot balm, I was all over it.

I mean, it is winter and my hands and feet feel like my four forgotten friends. With all of the dryness in the air and washing dishes, no amount of lotion can take away the chapped feeling. So I whipped this up and slathered it on my footsies, covered them with thick socks and fell asleep. I also slathered it on my hands...and lips.

This morning I woke up to soft and supple feet. And hands. And lips. An excellent way to start the holiday ho-ho-hos. This balm would also make great little perker gifts for people you love though it's just so good you'll likely want to keep it all for yourself...

Merry Christmas!


Fantastic Lip, Hand and Foot Balm
The Cowgirl Gourmet got this idea from Elana's Pantry (http://www.elanaspantry.com/)

Print recipe

While this do-it-yourself treat is not cheap, I think there is no price you can put on knowing exactly what ingredients go into the products you use on your body. Plus, you can switch up the essential oils for the season. I think an orange-lemon-basil would be great for the summer while the peppermint is just right for the holidays. 

1/4 cup shea butter
2 Tablespoons coconut oil
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/2 ounce grated beeswax
10 drops of essential oil of your choice (I used chamomile because that's what I had on hand)
10 drops of essential oil of peppermint

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over very low heat and stir until melted.


Remove from the heat, stir to combine and then add essential oils.

Pour mixture into a clean 4 oz. mason jar or smaller jars or containers if you want to make several as gifts.

The mixture will harden up but still be soft enough to massage into your hands and feet at bedtime. Or onto your lips anytime!

Comments

Top 5 Posts