Peppas n' Eggs

I have never been a yolk person. And I have particular disdain for anything even resembling a runny yolk.


When I was young, my grandmother accommodated my dislike for yolks by making me egg whites. Cooked to a crispy perfection. This tradition (though some called it spoiled) continued well into my 40's. I just couldn't handle the metallic taste of the yolks, nor the visual of a runny yolk, and let's not even mention the fact that the yolk was what would have become the chicken. Did I mention that I haven't eaten fowl in over 25 years either? I think it's all connected...


But I digress.


Ever since I started buying good, farm-fresh eggs that cost about $5 a dozen, I have learned to tolerate the yolks and in fact come to like them, though I still will not eat them "over easy." As David gently reminds me, there's vitamins and minerals in the yolks that are essential. 


A variety of colored eggs say
these are straight from the farm!


It never ceases to amaze me that even after 18 years together, he can still surprise me with a new recipe. Generally, its something from his past that he loves and realizes that I might love it, too.


That's how I came to learn about peppas n' eggs.


Peppers and eggs are an Italian staple that is served back east, especially on "meatless Fridays" or during Lent. Though please don't interpret this to be a dish that is for the deprived. 


Generally, you'll find it prepared as a "hero," or what some of you may call a sub sandwich. Often times, prosciutto or cheese is added. This rendition of eggs is so fabulous, you may just want to eat it every day.


Buen provecho!




Peppers and Eggs
The Cowgirl Gourmet's cowboy prepared this


Print recipe


You can use any kind of peppers you like--red, green or yellow. I prefer the red because of the sweetness they add and the color is hard to beat. You could also add onions to the mix. Serve on a baguette, roll or even a corn tortilla would be nice. If going no carb, just serve them as is  and with perhaps a side of sausage or bacon.


Serves 2


1 or 2 T. extra virgin olive oil (evoo)
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
Dash of Kosher salt
4 eggs, beaten
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 baguette, roll or corn tortilla, optional
Drizzle of evoo for garnish


Heat a non-stick saute pan over medium heat and add enough olive oil to coat the bottom. When the oil is hot, place the sliced bell peppers and sprinkle a dash of Kosher salt. Stir to coat and let them saute until softened, about 5-8 minutes.






In the meantime, gently beat the eggs and set aside.


When the peppers are softened, turn up the heat to medium-high and add a little more olive oil, if needed. When the oil is hot, pour in the beaten eggs, stir to combine and season with some salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the eggs are cooked the way you like them.




If serving as a sandwich, slice the bread lengthwise without cutting all the way through. 




When the eggs are done, gently slide them onto the bread. Drizzle with evoo and top with a pinch of coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper.






Otherwise, plate the eggs, drizzle with evoo and top with a pinch of coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve with a side of sausage or bacon.



Comments

Top 5 Posts