Berried Treasure

When you see tables of strawberries, blackberries and peaches at the farmers market, you know that summer is not far behind--nor are watermelons, cantaloupes and tomatoes. But I am trying to live "in the moment," so all I can think about is what to do with these berry delicious summer fruits.

 

A strawberry jam or blackberry jelly would be nice, but after I am done snacking on the berries, there's never quite enough left to make jam. Peach cobbler sounds great, too. Ice cream is always a welcome commodity in my house, though there is one specific recipe that has been weighing heavily on my palate as of late. It's something we tried at Whole Foods a few weeks ago and David and both really flipped for it!

Raw Berry Crisp. It's raw. It's gluten-free. Grain-free. Vegan. And it could be made sugar-free, depending on the sweetness of the berries. Now, hold on a minute...I know what you are thinking--that with all of these "labels," this dessert would be tasteless. Wrong! It's completely the opposite. Loaded with flavor, this raw berry crisp has a great crunch from the nuts and is totally easy to make.

When I saw the season's first local blackberries at the market on Sunday, this recipe flashed before me! Of course, when I thought a little more about it, I realized that strawberries and peaches would really take this dish over the top. Then I came upon some organic blueberries that I threw in just because...

My guess is that when you serve this crisp to your family or friends, they'll react just as we did. With oohs and aahs. We can keep the fact that it's raw, grain-free, gluten-free, sugar-free, vegan and healthy just between us, OK?

Buen provecho!
Raw Berry Crisp
The Cowgirl Gourmet learned about this recipe from Whole Foods Market San Antonio

Print recipe

Quick, healthy and delicious. Just the way I like it. Use the freshest local fruit you can find for this dessert. Everyone will be asking for more and begging for the recipe. I promise.I also think it would be fabulous with fresh peaches--though this would have to be made and then immediately devoured, so peaches would not turn brown. Which should not be a problem.  

Serves 4

2 cups berries (blackberries, blueberries, raspberries or sliced strawberries), or just one berry of choice or give peaches a chance
1 tablespoon coconut sugar or honey (more or less), depending on sweetness of berries
1/2 cup raw pecans
1/4 cup raw walnuts
1/4 cup pitted dates, seeds removed
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, or more

Place berries in a bowl, gently toss with coconut sugar or honey and set aside.



Put pecans, walnuts, dates and cinnamon in a food processor and pulse until coarsely ground. Taste the mixture as you may want to add a little more cinnamon. I like the cinnamon to be obvious, so I added a little bit more.



Pour fruit in a dish (7x11 for example or 4 individual ramekins) and scatter most of the nut mixture over the top (if using individual ramekins, use 2-3 tablespoons). Gently toss, scattering the reserved mixture on top. Just because. Serve immediately with fresh whipped cream, a scoop of vanilla ice cream or just as it is. Refrigerate any leftovers. Alternatively, you could make it in advance and refrigerate until ready to serve.


Comments

Top 5 Posts