Just Desserts

By now, you know that I am a dessert-a-holic. And while I have been trying to minimize my sugar consumption, I really don't need a reason to eat chocolate or make dessert. In fact, no reason is a reason enough for me!

The challenge, however, in this carb-tastic world we live in is finding a dessert that is gluten-free, grain-free and sugar-free. And still tastes good. Or even better, a dessert that tastes great and satisfies that need for "something sweet". Go ahead, I challenge you.

How this recipe came into my world, I am not exactly sure, but I am more than grateful. Life is funny that way...it sends you just what you need and just when you need it. I receive the gifts with gratitude, asking no questions, but promising to pass it forward.

The first time I made this recipe, I was skeptical. In fact, I was downright nervous wondering, "What is this going to taste like?" Within five minutes, I knew this was something special and the second time I made it, I made two servings. One for me and one for David. Now I always buy two bananas at the store, just in case the need for something sweet strikes. And it does.

The ingredients are weird and the cooking method even more so. But trust me on this. Now you can have your cake and eat it, too!
No (Bake) Cake Chocolate Cake
The Cowgirl Gourmet found this recipe from The Wannabe Chef

Print recipe

This paleo cake is gluten-free, grain-free and sugar-free. And you don't even have to bake it. One bowl and five minutes is all it takes. Just trust me on this. It might seem like a weird combination of ingredients and a really bizarre cooking process, but it works. In fact, it works wonderfully.

Makes 1 serving

1 ripe banana
1 1/2 Tablespoons almond or peanut butter (or other nut butter)
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon of the best vanilla you can find
2 heaping Tablespoons cocoa powder
2 teaspoons sweetener (optional, I use Ideal)
Chocolate chips, walnuts, pecans, dried fruit or other mix-ins (optional)

In a microwave safe bowl, mash the ripe banana until it becomes a semi-smooth paste.
Mix the nut butter in with the banana and stir until combined.
Then carefully add the egg, vanilla, cocoa powder and additional sweetener into the banana mash and stir well until it resembles cake batter. It will likely spill a bit, but that's okay.
Sprinkle with a few chocolate chips and raw nuts on top--you can either stir the nuts and chips into the batter or leave them on top. The batter should fill 2/3 of the cup or bowl.
Place mug or bowl in the microwave and cook on high for 2 1/2 minutes until the center is set. Carefully remove the vessel from the microwave and let cool for about 15-20 minutes.
I have eaten it hot, medium and cold and I prefer it at room temperature and even cold. Top with your favorite vanilla ice cream or whipping cream and you're in gluten-free, grain-free dessert heaven!

Comments

Top 5 Posts