Meet Tomatoe's Cousin

Tomatoes are popping up at the farmers market and I couldn't be happier! Buckets of gazpacho, plates of caprese salads and pots of tomato sauce are not far away. Though what interested me most at the market last Sunday was the tomatillos, a cousin of the tomato.

I came home with an abundance of farm fresh produce and while I was putting everything away, I realized that I had tomatillos, a 1015 onion and jalapenos. Yes, a salsa was on the horizon!


Honestly, I am not sure I have ever met a homemade salsa I didn't love. Raw, boiled, roasted, sauteed. Tomatoes or tomatillos. Dried chiles or fresh. No matter what ingredients you choose, my bet is that it will turn out to be something completely unique.

While I do love a red salsa, these tomatillos were begging to be turned into a raw green salsa. Using a few recipes as a baseline, I created a salsa that turned out to be fantastic--so much so that I was eating it by the spoonful!

Tangy and flavorful with a hint of jalapeno and just enough lime juice, salt and cilantro to balance it out. Serve this salsa with tortilla chips, spoon it over grilled meats, tacos or veggies or add some to kick up homemade guacamole.

Buen provecho!



Raw Tomatillo Salsa
The Cowgirl Gourmet

Print recipe

In less than five minutes, you'll have an impressive salsa that is so good, it won't last long!


Makes 1 cup

12 small or 8 medium tomatillos, husked, rinsed and quartered
1 large garlic clove, peeled and quartered
1/2 jalapeno (you can remove the seeds or not)
1/3 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
2 Tablespoons chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 lime, juiced
1 Tablespoon water, or more if needed

In a blender, combine tomatillos, garlic, chile and cilantro.


Add lime juice, salt and water and process to a coarse puree. If it is not blending, add another 1/2 tablespoon of water...until it gets the blender blades moving.


Taste and adjust seasoning if needed--adding a little more lime juice or salt.

Serve right away or refrigerate until ready to serve.


Comments

Top 5 Posts