Feeling Nutty?

As I walk the neighborhood with my dogs, my mind expands with delicious ideas when I see the heavy branches weighing down the pecan trees. Fortunately, the nights are getting cooler and the days are getting shorter. And when you live in South Texas, that means it's pecan season--which arrives just in time for the holidays.

When I was young, my great-grandmother made the most amazing pecan pie. Her secret? A few squeezes of fresh orange juice and my secret is that I also add orange zest. It takes the sweet edge off and mellows the sugar just a bit. Pecan bars are also a way to feature the state's wonderful fall and winter crop as are Mexican wedding cookies (aka sand tarts). Another sweet tradition in San Antonio are pecan pralines.

But because--in our old age--we now look for healthier alternatives to the things we used to enjoy freely, how about using fresh pecans to make a fabulous pie crust? When I saw this brilliant idea posted on Elana's Pantry last week, I knew it wouldn't take me long to test this idea. Especially since I am on the hunt for the "perfect Thanksgiving dessert" to feature at the family shindig.

A paleo, grain-free and gluten-free pie crust? You know I'm all over it! Now that we've been perfecting cooking with alternatives, we were very impressed with this pie crust. It's crispy with great texture and since there is no sugar, the pie filling provides the mandatory sweetness. Even after sitting in the fridge overnight, the crust still retains its texture.

If you crave pie with a crust, but are betting against carbs, grains and wheat, consider this my early holiday gift to you.

Buen provecho!
Pecan Pie Crust
The Cowgirl Gourmet found this amazing recipe on Elana's Pantry

Print recipe

A gluten-free, grain-free and carb-free pie crust? Yep. And it's good. You'll never miss what's missing.

Makes 1 pie

1 1/2 cups of pecans
1 farm fresh egg
1 T. coconut flour
1/8 teaspoon Kosher salt

In a food processor, add pecans and pulse until they look like coarse gravel. Add the egg, coconut flour and salt and pulse until a small ball forms.
Coarsely ground pecans
Pecans with egg, flour and salt
Grease a 9" pie tart or pie pan and press the crust into the bottom and sides of the pan.
Pour in the filling and bake according to the directions.



Comments

Top 5 Posts