Breakfast at Giada's

I love breakfast.

A plate of farm fresh and pastured eggs, meaty bacon, crispy potatoes and maybe even a bit of homemade salsa. Who can turn that down? The only problem is that I don't want to eat breakfast first thing in the morning. I want it at about 10 am. Or for dinner.

But the truth is, we need to eat something in the morning. And well before 10 am. Often times I will whip up a smoothie just to get the metabolism going, but now that I know about one of Giada De Laurentiis's favorite breakfast recipes, this is going to be in the refrigerator at all times.

My affinity for chia seeds has evolved over the years. It started with a basic pudding. Then we added chocolate to the mix to make it a bit more decadent. And now, I love that it can be breakfast. Or a healthy snack.

Easy to make and even easier to eat, this chia seed breakfast pudding is loaded with fiber and antioxidants. Add some fruit and it's a deconstructed smoothie.

I love that it did not fill me up, but gave me just enough energy to get me through the morning. So, instead of starving yourself until lunch, how about breakfast at Giada's? Well, maybe not exactly at her house, but if you were at her house, this is what she might serve.

(Foodie tip: If you live in San Antonio, stop by the Quarry Farmers & Ranchers Market on Sunday and hook up with Mother Culture where you will find the best yogurt in town. She is right next to my Cowgirl Granola tent. Made with local and grass-fed dairy, Michelle Garrido's Signature yogurt or Greek yogurt are both perfect for this recipe. Bonus--Engel Farms is harvesting chemical-free strawberries right now.)

Buen provecho!
Chia Seed Breakfast Pudding
The Cowgirl Gourmet adapted this recipe from Giada De Laurentiis

Print recipe

Breakfast is one of my favorite meals. Really. But I tend to want to eat breakfast at 10 am. This pudding allows me to get something in my belly right away so Mr. Metabolism kicks in. It's rich and creamy and filling and super easy to make.

Serves 4

Pudding
1 cup unsweetened almond milk (I prefer the Califia Farms brand)
1 cup plain yogurt or plain Greek yogurt (if you choose the honey variety of Mother Culture's yogurt, just reduce the amount of honey or maple syrup added or do not add any additional sweetener at all)
4 tablespoons raw honey or maple syrup, plus 1 tablespoon for serving
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
A pinch of kosher salt
1/4 cup chia seeds

Garnish
1 pint chemical-free strawberries, hulled and chopped (or other seasonal fruit, such as bananas, blueberries, papaya)
Nuts of choice, toasted and chopped, optional

In a quart size Mason jar, add the almond milk, yogurt, sweetener of choice, vanilla and salt. Put the lid on and shake, shake, shake until blended. Now open the lid and add in the chia seeds and let sit on the counter for 30 minutes.
Stir well to distribute the seeds if they have settled. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

In the morning, in a medium bowl, toss the berries with the remaining tablespoon of honey or maple syrup and, if using, mix in the nuts.

Spoon the pudding into glasses or bowls or layer the fruit and pudding to create a trifle-like dish.
Refrigerate any leftovers and repeat often.

Comments

Top 5 Posts