Bake the World a Better Place

Can I start by begging for forgiveness for disappearing?

It's been a hectic spring as I have taken on a few new projects and events, in addition to the regular farmers market and granola gigs. This has left me little time for fun in the cocina.

While I have been cooking, I really have not made anything exceptionally brilliant nor have I had the time to prepare a recipe and blog about it. It's really been that insane around here. In fact, when we got a day off on Easter Sunday, we had a simple brunch and then salad later in the afternoon. No ham, no leg of lamb, no fabulous holiday meal. Just plain and simple food and no company. We hold up in the house all day and did not go anywhere or see anyone. It was absolutely fabulous!

But I finally made something exceptional and worth sharing. In fact, it may be the very best paleo chocolate chip cookie I have ever had. And I have had quite a few.

For my birthday three years ago (July 2011), I made my first paleo chocolate chip cookie and then made ice cream sandwiches. And then in December 2013, I made another paleo chocolate chip cookie recipe.

Honestly, neither of these previous paleo renditions hold a candle to this new version. Crispy, yet chewy. Oozing with melted chocolate, these cookies are so amazing, I bet they would be prefered by non-paleo eaters.

With just four ingredients (I don't count vanilla, baking soda and salt), what are you waiting for? Turn the oven on, get stirring and bake the world a better place.Bake the World a Better Place

*This recipe comes from a new paleo cookbook, Slim Palate by Joshua Weissman, an 18 year old whose love of cooking and eating has now turned into a healthy passion centered on paleo cooking. He lost 100 pounds, started a blog, found a following, wrote a cookbook and is now on a book tour. I love this recipe so much, I am going to order his cookbook this week.

Buen provecho!
The Most Unbelievable 4 Ingredient Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookie Ever
The Cowgirl Gourmet is indebted to Slim Palate for this recipe which has been slightly adapted

Print recipe

Would you believe me if I told you this was the best paleo chocolate chip cookie I have ever had? It is and I am so grateful. I cut back on the sugar from the original recipe and, boy am I glad. It's still plenty sweet. Just be sure and make the recipe exactly as written. There is a bit of chemistry involved. Need to know how fantastic these cookies are? Get a head start and sample the batter...it tastes just like caramel.

Makes a dozen

1/2 cup (scant) coconut sugar, sifted
1 pastured egg
1 pastured egg yolk
1 cup smooth almond butter
1 1/2 teaspoons the best quality vanilla extract you can afford
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
4 ounces dark chocolate, coarsely chopped into chunks
Maldon salt, just a few pinches for dusting the cookies

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper or aluminum foil. If you use aluminum foil, rub the foil with a bit of melted coconut oil, just to make sure the cookies will not stick. (The batch makes a dozen and the cookies spread out quite a bit. Each cookie sheet will hold six cookies.)

In a small bowl, crack the egg and add the egg yolk. Whisk to combine. Set aside.

In a medium sized bowl add the almond butter and sifted coconut sugar and stir until incorporated. Add the vanilla, baking soda and salt and stir until incorporated. Then add the egg mixture and stir again to fully combine. Fold in the chopped chocolate chunks until blended.

Using a scoop or spoon, scoop 1 1/2-2 tablespoons of the cookie dough on the sheet spacing them about 2 1/2 inches apart, as they will spread. Place six cookie mounds per cookie sheet.
Place the cookie sheets in the oven and bake until golden, about 10-12 minutes, or a touch longer. They will puff up as they cook and then deflate when they begin to cool. As they are cooling, sprinkle just a bit of Maldon or flaky sea salt on top of each cookie. Let cool for 5-7 minutes.
With a spatula, transfer them to a cooling rack and allow them to cool completely.

Take a bite and allow yourself a moment to revel in the utter deliciousness of this cookie. You don't have to tell anyone that it's gluten, grain and sugar free. It can be our little secret.

Comments

Top 5 Posts