Pigged Out

If I eat another form of pork, I think I'm going to start growing a little pink, curly tail. I mean it. I'm porked out from pigging out!

So, naturally, when a friend of ours shot a wild pig on a recent hunting expedition and gave us a pork shoulder, we thought it would be fun to share it with a few vendors at the New Braunfels Farm to Market.

Having been a "farmers market" person for some time now, I think it's fair to say that the majority of my fellow farmers market peeps are foodies, too. They truly appreciate high-quality food since they either grow, raise or prepare whatever it is they sell, so they are quite discriminating. They take pride in what they do and and I believe it's safe to assume that we all eat copious amounts of whatever we grow, raise or prepare.

We delivered the pork shoulder to Chris and Kate Conger of The Smoke Shack* last week and asked them to smoke it for us, which they were happy to do. I bet you remember me raving about their BBQ on two separate posts last year.


This food truck is parked at the corner of 410 and Nacogdoches and if you haven't yet been by to sample their grub, why not head right over and tell them I sent you!

As expected, Chris smoked this pork butt to perfection. (He is known for making the best pulled pork in town!) It was crusty and crunchy on the outside and soft and tender on the inside. There was no gamy taste to this wild pig...which came as quite a surprise, but, honestly, we were relieved. It was a winner!


The Smoke Shack's super fabulous mustard sauce

We picked up some cheap hamburger buns (which make the best burgers), I sliced plenty of onion, we grabbed a jar of pickles from the fridge and our precious (and dwindling) bottle of The Smoke Shack's Mustard Sauce, the flat top to heat the pulled pork and we were off to the market! As soon as the clock struck Noon, David happily switched to lunch mode. He immediately ceased the production of our morning gluten-free Organic Blue Cornmeal Waffle samples and fired up the cooktop for pulled pork.

I guess I don't need to tell you that many
customers wanted to buy a slider today?

Pulled pork sliders for everyone!


There wasn't exactly enough for everyone, but a few guy friends and vendors did get lucky on Saturday. (And a few more got theirs at Sunday's market.) I tried to get a picture of each person eating their sammy, but by the time I got to some people, the sammies had disappeared! Surprise, surprise. Not!
 
I caught David just before
scarfing his last bite!

I got smart this time and got Frank
just before taking his first bite!

Tom getting ready for his Sunday sammy!

Brandy and Cappelli...happy, happy, happy!

Part of the fun of having access to great food is sharing it with people you care about. So what have you made lately that you invited friends and family to enjoy with you? I'd love to hear about it, so please leave a comment.

Buen provecho!

*The Smoke Shack is open Monday through Friday from 11 am until they sell-out which is by about 2 pm. On Saturdays they can be found parked at the Pearl Farmers Market.

Comments

David said…
Having participated in this culinary event I must say...OINK!

Top 5 Posts