Cool Beans

I never met Aunt Karen, but soon after I met David I started hearing "Aunt Karen stories." He adored her and those legendary pancakes she made stole his heart at first bite.

Neither my parents--nor any aunts--ever made me any pancakes, but my best friend's father did. And though I do get the pancake thing, I prefer a crispy waffle with nearly every crevice overflowing with maple syrup. I could be wrong, but whether you choose pancakes or waffles, they are merely a vehicle (and a perfect excuse) for devouring copious pools of Grade B maple syrup.

David's obvious affection for pancakes meant I needed to master a killer pancake recipe. It's something I have been working on for more than two decades and it looks like I finally did it! We have evolved from all-purpose flour recipes to using alternative options including almond flour, organic blue cornmeal and coconut flour. We have tried them all and we have also tried the ubiquitous egg-banana-almond butter pancake. None reached "Aunt Karen" status.

A few weeks ago, I made pancake batter using garbanzo bean flour. Yep, those precious beans that make hummus turned out spectacularly light and tasty pancakes. (The dried beans are ground into a fine flour that behaves much like all-purpose flour and is loaded with protein and fiber.)

I have been using garbanzo bean flour quite a bit lately and I am impressed. The batter's consistency was neither too think or too thin. And when cooking, the pancake forms a picture-perfect golden crust that deflects the maple syrup just enough so it doesn't become a soggy mess of a pancake.

So far, so good. But how does it taste?

The first two pancakes were ready, so I plated them and let David be the guinea pig. I placed the plate in front of him and he reached for the maple syrup. As I walked back to the kitchen to check on the pancakes that were still cooking, I heard David say merrily, "These taste like Aunt Karen's pancakes!"

I turned around to look at him and he was smiling from ear to ear as he savored another bite of these crispy, yet light, gluten-free pancakes that are the closest thing we have ever had that tastes like the flour-laden pancakes of our childhood and specifically, Aunt Karen's pancakes of yesteryear.

With approximately 5 grams of fiber and 6 grams of protein per serving, that makes these pancakes cool beans!

Buen provecho!
Garbanzo Flour Pancakes
The Cowgirl Gourmet

Print recipe

Who doesn't love pancakes? Their sheer simplicity makes you feel lush and warm and loved. Whether you are a breakfast or brinner (breakfast for dinner) kind of person, these pancakes will fill you with goodness and a smile from ear to ear. We can keep the fact that they are gluten-free and filled with protein and fiber between us, okay?

Makes approximately 8 pancakes

Dry ingredients:
1 cup + 2 tablespoons garbanzo flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon coconut sugar

Wet ingredients:
1 pastured egg
1 cup milk of choice (I have used both regular milk and plant milk)
1 tablespoon evoo or coconut oil (I have used both successfully)
1 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract

Fruit toppings, such as blueberries or bananas, if desired
Chopped nuts, if desired

In a large bowl, add dry ingredients and whisk to combine, trying to break up any clumps.

In a smaller bowl, add the egg and beat well. Stir in the milk of choice, oil of choice and vanilla and blend well. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk to combine.

Heat a griddle or skillet and add oil to coat the pan. Pour batter by ¼ cup, adding any sliced fruit and/or chopped nuts, if desired. When air bubbles form on the pancake, flip it over and brown the other side to cook through.
Serve with butter, maple syrup, fruit spread and fresh fruit. Relish the best grain-free pancake ever and repeat. Reserve any remaining batter in the fridge and use within 2-3 days.

Comments

Top 5 Posts